East Amherst, NY – On behalf of the WNYPGA Board of Directors, we are excited to announce that three PGA Professionals and one amateur have been unanimously voted into the WNYPGA Hall of Fame class of 2020. The class is highlighted by Jack Gordon, PGA, who was the first ever Section President of the WNYPGA Section. Full bios of each inductee can be found below.
The WNYPGA Hall of Fame recognizes extraordinary careers and pays tribute to those PGA Professionals and Amateur golfers who served the Section in an exemplary manner, set standards for promoting the game throughout our communities, and/or will long be recognized and respected for their illustrious playing accomplishments. By dedicating themselves to the game of golf, WNYPGA Hall of Fame Members contributed in a special way to the Section’s growth and heritage of professionalism and the game of golf in WNY.
The WNYPGA Hall of Fame is located at the homesite of the WNYPGA Section at Glen Oak GC, 711 Smith Road, East Amherst, NY 14051. Hours of the Hall of Fame are Monday-Friday, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. CLICK HERE to view the entire WNYPGA Hall of Fame Family.
Jack Gordon, PGA
Jack started his professional career at Cathcart Castle Golf Club, Glasgow, Scotland. He immigrated to the United States and served as Head Professional at the Country Club of Buffalo, Transit Valley Country Club and Westwood Country Club.
Jack was the first WNYPGA President and served from 1927 to 1931. He was also the first National Representative to serve on the PGA Board of Directors and a longtime member of the WNYPGA Board of Directors.
WNYPGA historical records are not available for the era but club historians can confirm Jack’s high-ranking of playing ability in the WNYPGA Section with numerous wins and participation in PGA National Championships including the PGA Championship. He is listed as the 1927 WNYPGA Section Champion.
Jack Gordon is the author of Understandable Golf and The Ten Commandments of the Golf Stroke. Both are still available at selected book outlets.
Jon Hoecker, PGA
Jon has been the Head Professionals at Brook Lea Country Club since 1993. His high-ranking playing ability in the WNYPGA Section with numerous wins, high finishes in both events and Player of the Year Standings easily qualified him for nomination. Jon has also played in numerous National PGA competitions.
- WNYPGA Champion (1988, 1997, 2008 & 2019)
- WNYPGA Senior Champion (2013 & 2018)
- WNYPGA Match Play Champion (2003)
- WNYPGA Player of the Year (1988)
- WNYPGA President (2007-2009)
- WNYPGA Professional of the Year (2000)
- Horton Smith Award (2004 & 2005)
- WNYPGA Teacher of the Year (2003 & 2011)
- Longtime member of the WNYPGA Board of Directors
Jon Hoecker is the consummate PGA Professional and is well respected for his knowledge and talent.
John P. Konsek
Former Amateur Member of Brookfield Country Club
- International Junior Masters Champion (1954,1955,1957)
- New York State Junior Amateur champion (1957)
- National Jaycee US Championship-Runner up (1957)
- Qualified for USGA National Junior Championship (1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957)
- New York State Men’s Amateur Champion (1958, 1959, 1960)
- Monroe Invitational Amateur Champion (1959, 1964)
- Big Ten Team Championship (1958, 1959, 1960 —Purdue University)
- Big Ten Individual Champion (1958, 1959, 1960 —Purdue University)
- NCAA Division 1 Championship -Runner up (1958)
- Porter Cup Champion (1959, 1961)
- NCAA First Team All American (1958, 1959, 1960)
- Americas Cup Team (1960)
- US Open Participant (1958, 1960)
- US Amateur Championship participant (1956, 1957, 1958, 1959)
- Masters Championship Invitation (1960)
- Buffalo District Amateur Champion (1960) Setting course record in Qualifier at Park Club in Buffalo (1961)
- Inducted Purdue Sports Hall of Fame (2003)
- Inducted Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame (2005)
- Inducted New York State Golf Association Hall of Fame (2015)
Michael J. O’Connor
Michael has been the Head Professional at The Kahkwa Club since 1999. His high-ranking playing ability in the WNYPGA Section with numerous wins, high finishes in both events and Player of the Year Standings easily qualified him for nomination. Michael has also played in numerous National PGA competitions.
- WNYPGA Section Champion (2001)
- WNYPGA President (two-year term 2016 – 2017)
- Bill Strausbaugh Award (2015)
- Horton Smith Award (2006 & 2007)
- Teacher of the Year (2008)
- Merchandiser of the Year (2014)
- PGA REACH WNY President (Present)
- Longtime member of the WNYPGA Board of Directors
Michael led the J.C. Martin Project in Erie, PA, which brought back to life a historical landmark golf course. J.C. Martin has long served as a location for juniors to learn the game, and for the golfing public to enjoy a leisurely round of golf.
Michael O’Connor is the consummate PGA Professional and is well respected for his knowledge and talent.
All Hall of Fame Inductees will be celebrated in the Spring of 2021 at a reception at the WNYPGA Homesite at Glen Oak Golf Club due to the COVID-19 gathering restrictions in 2020 this fall.
About the Western New York PGA: The WNYPGA is one of the 41 geographic sections under the umbrella of the PGA of America. The Section was established in 1925 and represents 275 PGA Professionals and Apprentices and over 100 golf facilities across Rochester, Buffalo and Erie, PA. The Mission of the WNYPGA is to Grow the Game of Golf today, tomorrow, and into the future.
Steven Bartkowski: email@example.com
For Immediate Release November 9, 2020