Western New York Section of the PGA of America
When the PGA of America was formed in 1916, there were seven original sections, one of them being the Metropolitan Section, which was the entire state of New York.
On June 3, 1925, the Western New York Section officially became a part of the PGA of America by the submission of a check from Mr. E.L. Worrell, who was affiliated with A.G. Spalding & Brothers Sports Division in Buffalo, NY. The check was for $55, which was a $5 annual due for each of the original 11 members.
By 1929, there were 24 PGA Sections, with a total of 2,000 members, and the membership of the Western New York PGA grew to 48 professionals. Today, there are 41 PGA Sections, with a total of over 29,000 members and apprentices. The Western New York Section is comprised of 240 members and 30 apprentices.
Until 1984, the Western New York Section was administered by the officers of the Section who had to help administer programs while also performing their duties at their clubs. The Section now has a office building and staff located in Williamsville (Buffalo), New York.
"Believing that the growth for the game of golf and its high standing in the country is largely due to the efforts of its early professional exponents, and because of their ideals of sportsmanship and ethical practices, the Professional Golfers' Association of America is dedicated to the perpetuation of those ideals."